Almonds are very popular dry fruits and are native to countries like India, Middle East and North Africa.
They can be eaten as whole or even used to extract oil. They have extensive health benefits that include promoting heart health and relief from conditions of diabetes, brain disorders, cough, anemia, etc.
Some of the health benefits of Almonds are as follows:
- Almonds are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids and antioxidants therefore, its supports heart health. The minerals and vitamins help in lowering the cholesterol levels and thus prevent plaque deposition. It manages blood pressure as well.
- It is considered as one of the best food for brain. It reduces inflammation and thus prevents dementia.
- Vitamin E is very good for skin. Almonds have compounds, which fights against skin cancer, protects against UV light, pollution, poor diet, reduces blackheads, pimples and acne.
- Since almonds are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids they cause slow release of glucose into the bloodstream and prevents insulin resistance and inflammation.
- It is good for weight loss as it keeps one full for a longer period and avoids unhealthy snacking and reduces cravings.
- It helps in absorption of fat-soluble nutrients. It maintains normal pH required for digestion and thus prevents diseases. It also regulates digestive enzymes, which synthesize cholesterol and bile acid.
- It keeps the gut flora healthy and removes bad bacteria as it acts as a prebiotic precursor.
- Gamma tocopherol a form of vitamin E is a potent antioxidant, which fights off cancer. It reduces the risk of colon, prostate and breast cancer.
- It keeps bones and teeth healthy.
- Almond oil is good for hair as it treats dandruff, hair fall problems and prevents graying of hair.
- Almond oil helps in removal of dark circles under the eyes.
- Being rich in copper, iron and vitamins, it treats anemia.
- It reduces rise of sugar after the meals and thus controls blood sugar level.
- It is used as aphrodisiac as it increases the blood flow to the reproductive organs.
- Fiber present in almonds cures constipation