Mussels are found in both saltwater and freshwater and belong to the class of molluscs.
They are mainly classified into two main types:
And Green-lipped mussels
The shells of mussels have colours ranging in hues of black, blue or grey.
Mussels are cooked with or without shells and are considered to be a superfood. They have various health benefits owing to their nutritional profile.
Health Benefits of Mussels-
1. Mussels are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. They are low in saturated fat and hence they pose cardioprotective properties. They reduce the risk of cholesterol and heart ailments.
2. Mussels, especially the green lipped mussels prevent the risk of arthritis. It has also been found to be helpful in the treatment of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
3. Consumption of mussels strengthens teeth and joints. Green-lipped mussels especially help in the prevention of joint stiffness and pain.
4. Mussels improve overall blood circulation in the body. They strengthen the arterial walls of the heart and lowers the risk of heart attack.
5.Mussels strengthen our immune system. They fasten the wound healing process. They provide resistance against bacterial infection.
6. Green-lipped mussels improve the functioning of nerve cells throughout the body.
7. Mussels are an excellent source of iron. Consumption of mussels regularly prevents the chances of anaemia.
8. Green-lipped mussels have anti-inflammatory properties that have proven to be beneficial in the treatment of asthma.
9. Deficiency of omega-3 fatty acids has shown to have ageing effects on the skin. Green-lipped mussels are an excellent source of zinc and omega 3-fatty acids. Together they delay the signs of ageing and help treat skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
10. Mussels have rich content of vitamin B12. Hence consumption of mussels is highly recommended for pregnant ladies.